- GW Home
- About GW
- University Life
- News & Events
- Faculty And Staff
Master of Professional Studies and Graduate Certificate in Law Firm Management
Offered by the College of Professional Studies
"The Master's in Law Firm Management Program has been invaluable to my growth as a leader and law firm professional. By working with nationally renowned faculty and my classmates from all over the country, I have developed a heightened understanding of the legal industry and learned how to bring that perspective back to my firm."
– Kathleen Pearson, MPS, Director of Administration, Nashville Center, Pillsbury Winthrop, Shaw, Pittman, Nashville, TN
The GW College of Professional Studies has created a graduate program that responds to the need for highly skilled and adaptable leadership in law firms and companies providing services to law firms. This unique, flexible program provides law firm professionals with the business and leadership knowledge they need to succeed in the fast-growing law firm industry.
Program faculty consists of professors from the GW School of Business, College of Professional Studies, and adjunct professors from the legal field.
Students have attended the program from law firms of varying sizes located throughout the United States, Canada, Asia, the Middle East and Europe. Professional administrators from Bingham McCutchen; DLA Piper; Jones Day; Vinson and Elkins; Morgan, Lewis & Bockius; Patterson Belknap; Hogan Lovell; Weil Gotshal; and Skadden Arps; as well as companies providing services to law firms, have attended the program.
All students have professional administrative experience in law firms or related settings. Positions held by students include: Administrator, Executive Director, Chief Operating Officer, Director of Human Resources, Director of Professional Development, Marketing Manager, Operations Manager, Finance Director, IT Manager, Managing Partner, Practice Group Leaders, Library, Senior Paralegals, Knowledge Management, and Counsel.
The Master of Professional Studies in Law Firm Management is a 30-credit program that can be completed in 18 months. The first 12 credits in Law Firm Management may stand alone as a Graduate Certificate. The program is specially designed for people working full-time, with a combination of Distance Learning and Short-Term Residencies at the GW Alexandria Graduate Education Center. The program begins each summer.
Expand Your Career Options
- Graduates tend to advance quickly to higher-paying positions. Many have created their own titles and job descriptions.
- Your degree puts you on equal footing with others who have advanced degrees, thus graduates tend to gain a stronger voice within the firm.
- Your studies give you a managerial perspective and a birds-eye view impossible to gain in the field day-to-day.
- Your increased understanding of the business of law means you can become integral to your firm's growth and success.
- A like-minded alumni community broadens your career network.
Your Firm Benefits, Too
- Well-trained professionals help sustain the firm's competitive edge.
- High performing teams are more productive and loyal to the firm.
- When administrators think like owners, they add constant value, ferreting out inefficiencies and streamlining operations.
- Graduate leadership skills are passed on to others, creating a culture of continuous learning not firmly embedded in law firm administrative culture.
Your Degree Adds Critical Managerial Skills
- Development and implementation of strategy.
- Law firm economics and profitability analysis.
- Law firm management structures.
- Legal services market analysis.
- Marketing, branding and client services.
- Legal lean sigma process improvement.
- Legal technology and knowledge management.
Develop Leadership Skills That Law Firms Need
- Strategy development and execution.
- Leading teams and leading change.
- Legal industry dynamics and competition.
- Partner compensation systems.
- Leadership styles, communication, motivation and conflict management.
- Change leadership.
Carl A. Leonard, J.D.
Graduate Admissions Counselor
Christian D. Chan