- GW Home
- Our Location
- Admissions & Aid
- GW Experience
- Faculty & Staff
CPS Commencement Student Speaker competition
One of the highlights of the CPS Commencement celebration is the address by the student speaker. The student speaker reflects on his or her experiences at GW and the College of Professional Studies. We welcome all CPS and GSPM students to audition.
We are looking for speeches that are relevant to all College of Professional Studies students, not just those graduating from a specific program. Previous speakers have addressed topics such as circumstances in their lives that led them to seek a degree from CPS, challenges they faced working full time and going to school, and their vision for how CPS students can improve their professions, regardless of field.
The Student Speaker receives:
- Eight tickets for the reserved seating section at the CPS Commencement celebration
- Invitation for speaker and two guests to attend the pre-celebration faculty and special guest gathering to prepare for the ceremony
- Seat on stage with the faculty and special guests as part of the "platform party"
You are eligible to audition if you have a 3.5 GPA as of the competition deadline, are in good academic standing with the university, and plan to attend the CPS Commencement ceremony on Saturday, May 20th. This includes undergraduates, graduates, on-campus, off-campus and distance students who earned their degrees in summer or fall 2016 or will earn their degrees in spring or summer 2017 (summer 2017 graduates must qualify to participate in the May commencement to be eligible).
Please submit the materials listed below no later than 11:59 pm EST on Friday, March 17th. Click here to submit your materials.
- Text of the speech you propose to make at the CPS Commencement.
- A link to a video of you delivering your speech up to 4 minutes long, as we will judge both on content and on presentation.
- The name of a faculty member who will act as a reference.
If you have any questions please contact the Office for Student Engagement at email@example.com or 202-994-8310.