Requests for Academic Exception


All student requests for academic exceptions must be submitted to Student Services via petition. Students must provide detail about their request and must attached outside documentation supporting such request. Petitions will be reviewed by Student Services and the Program Director.


For claims of arbitrary and capricious grading, in addition to the petition for academic exception students must provide:

  • Course syllabus

  • Assignment or work product involved in the dispute, if applicable

  • Statement of student grade grievance

  • Instructor response to statement of student grade grievance

  • Other relevant documents the student wishes to submit

Claims for arbitrary and capricious grading will be reviewed by the Program Director. Any student wishing to appeal the initial decision made by the Program Director must make a written request for further review to the Dean’s Office. The dean’s office will engage three (3) instructors in the field but not associated with this particular course to review the student’s petition and the assignments and work in question. The three instructors will provide their analysis and recommendation in writing and the dean’s office will act accordingly. The dean’s office renders the final decision for grade grievances in the College of Professional Studies.

This policy and procedure for grade grievances pertains to a student assertion of arbitrary or capricious assignment of a course grade. Cases of academic dishonesty are not included, nor are allegations of illegal discrimination.