Areas of Expertise
- Production and Design
- Printing and Print-Buying
- Vendor Management
- Mailing and Distribution
- Project Management
- Process Improvement and Strategic Planning
- Business Strategies, Financial Planning, and Budgetary Controls
- Membership Programs and Strategies
Mike Kalyan has more than 20 years of experience in production and project management, ranging from magazines and books, to newsletters and e-publishing, marketing and membership materials, and event collateral and digital products.
As the Director of Production Services for ASCD (an education non-profit membership and publishing association), he is responsible leading a team that oversees the production and development of the Association’s programs, products, services, and member benefits, including project management and scheduling, print and service buying, vendor management and quality control, and mailing and fulfillment.
Additionally, he leads the Project Guidance Team that oversees ASCD’s Idea Factory, which evaluates new ideas submitted by staff and takes them through the process of turning those ideas into finished products through building consensus of stakeholders and creating final business plans.
Kalyan started his career as a production assistant with Government Computer News, a government technology magazine, and later went on to work for Hanley Wood LLC as a production manager of Big Builder and Multifamily Executive magazines, in addition to being the primary magazine advertising insert estimator for all of Hanley Wood’s magazine portfolio.
He left Hanley Wood to work at Washington City Paper as its Production Director, where he managed the weekly newspaper and advertising production process, along with collaborating in marketing City Paper’s many events and sponsorship activities. Kalyan also implemented new production, design and editing workflows and publishing technologies to reduce staff time on the weekly newspaper deadlines to transition additional resources to the website, online advertising, and sales and marketing materials.
Kalyan is also the co-owner and founder of The Escape Room Guys, a business that runs an escape room review blog, manages social media channels, and does consulting for escape room companies in the design and creation of escape rooms.
- Master of Professional Studies in Publishing, The George Washington University
- Bachelor of Arts in Print Journalism, with minors in Justice and in Literature, American University, Washington, D.C.
- Certified Scrum Master from the Scrum Alliance
- Certified Mail Design Professional, United States Postal Service
- Project Management Professional, Project Management Institute (in progress)
- Member, Project Management Institute
- Member, Scrum Alliance
- Member, NOVA Postal Customer Council
- Member, Direct Mail Association of Washington DC
- Production Management