Graduation and Certificate Completion

Applying for Graduation (Bachelor's and Master's degrees)

You are ready to graduate once you have completed all degree requirements for your program and you have no outstanding financial obligations to the University. Graduation occurs at the end of each semester, depending upon the program schedule, but commencement ceremonies only occur in May of each year.

You must apply to graduate even if you do not plan to attend commencement ceremonies. Students expecting to graduate in a particular semester must apply to graduate via GWeb by the following deadlines:

Graduation Term

Application Deadline


February 1

Summer (participating in Spring)*

March 15


July 1


October 1

*Summer graduates may be eligible to walk in Spring.  See eligibility requirements for walk-through status on the Office of the Registrar website.
Students who miss the published deadline must use the late paper application and will be assessed a $35 late application fee. Applications submitted after the applicable deadline will be subject to a $35 late fee.  Late applicants will not be guaranteed tickets to commencement ceremonies nor inclusion in the printed commencement program.  If you are unable to complete all degree requirements by the end of the semester in which you applied, your application will no longer be valid and you will need to reapply for the appropriate semester.
You will be asked to note on the application whether you plan to attend commencement ceremonies in May.  If you are not sure of your plans, we recommend you reply "yes" since only students indicating they are attending will receive information from GW and CPS about the commencement ceremonies.
Your diploma  will be mailed to you about three months after your official date of graduation. If you are moving or have moved recently, please make sure that the Registrar's Office has your new address. Note that CPS does not grant Latin honors at the graduate level.

Applying for Certificates

Students planning to complete a certificate at the end of the semester for which they are now enrolled must complete a Certificate Completion form  to declare their candidacy. Students must be registered for the semester or summer session immediately prior to the certificate completion date, and must complete all requirements by the last day of final examinations for that semester or summer session. A completed form must be submitted to the CPS Office for Student Engagement no later than the date listed below, or on the first business day after that date. Students completing a certificate are not recognized at the university commencement and are not issued tickets to the ceremony.

Completing the Certificate in:




Forms are due to CPS Office for Student Engagement by:

April 1

Jul 1

Dec 1

Final Transcripts

Your official transcript which states your degree and graduation or certificate completion will be issued to you only after your official graduation or completion date. You may request a copy of your Official Transcript by submitting a Transcript Request Form along with appropriate payment to Colonial Central on the Ground Floor of the Marvin Center at 800 21st Street NW. You may also request a transcript online which will be mailed to you. Please note that your account with the University must not show any outstanding obligations in order to receive an official transcript.

If you are a currently enrolled student, you may also review your unofficial transcript online via GWeb. If you need verification of your graduation before your final transcript and diploma or certificate are available, you may request a certification of completion from the Registrar's Office.

Please contact with any questions you may have.  Congratulations!