John W. Warren
- Director and Associate Professor, Masters of Professional Studies in Publishing
- 413 John Carlyle Street, Suite 250
(Garage Address: 1925 Ballenger Avenue)
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
- [email protected]
Areas of Expertise
- Digital Publishing
- International Business
- Global Distribution
- Marketing, Sales, and Promotion
- Research Impact and Assessment
- Production & Design
- Brazil and Latin America
John Warren has more than 25 years of senior management experience in publishing, having led groundbreaking initiatives in digital content development and distribution, including eBooks, short-form digital content, enhanced eBooks and websites, open access journals, and open educational resources.
Previously, he served as the Director of the George Mason University Press and Mason Publishing group. Prior to his work at George Mason, Warren served as the Marketing and Sales Director for the Georgetown University Press, Marketing Director for Publications at the RAND Corporation, and Marketing Manager for Fondo de Cultura Economica.
- Master’s in International Management from the School of Global Policy and Strategy at the University of California, San Diego
- Bachelor of Arts in Spanish and Portuguese from the University of California, Santa Barbara
Warren has authored several articles about publishing, including “Innovation and the Future of E-Books” (2009), for which he was the winner of the International Award for Excellence in the Development of the Book.
Most recently he authored an open textbook on Impact for the Library Publishing Curriculum, a professional development initiative for librarians sponsored by the Library Publishing Coalition through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
- Reviews Editor, Journal of Electronic Publishing, Michigan Publishing
- Board Member and member of Research Committee, Library Publishing Coalition (2017-2018)
- Publisher and Organizing Committee Member, Open Scholarship Initiative Conference
- Amicus Poloniae Award, from the Embassy of the Republic of Poland (2014)
- Gold Certification for Metadata, Book Industry Study Group (BISG) (2013)
- Winner, International Award for Excellence in Development of the Book (2009)
- Marketing and Advanced Marketing
- Fundamentals of E-Publishing
- Ethics in Publishing