Student Financial Assistance & Benefits

The GW Office of Student Financial Assistance can help you identify loan options and provide you with applications and other information.

Colonial Central

Office of Student Financial Assistance (SFA)
Marvin Center - Ground Floor
800 21st Street NW
Fax: 202-994-0906
Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5:30pm

Applying for Loans

To apply for a Stafford or alternative educational loans to finance your education, please visit the Office of Student Financial Assistance. Students must be accepted degree or certificate students and enrolled in at least six credit hours per semester in order to qualify for loans.

Virginia State Grants

The Commonwealth of Virginia has two grant programs which students attending Virginia based programs (VSTC, Arlington and Alexandria) may qualify for. More information about these programs, eligibility and application steps are available on the Office of Student Financial Assistance website.

Veterans Benefits

Information regarding veteran's education benefits may be obtained from the Office of Military and Veteran Student Services, Foggy Bottom Campus. Students should contact us at or 202-994-2083. 

A signed certificate attesting to the student's status must be obtained from the appropriate dean's office and mailed with the registration schedule and statement at the time of payment. Those students who are veterans and requesting benefits must communicate their status to the Veterans Benefits Office, at least 30 days prior to course start date, in order to obtain an advance payment from the VA. Payment takes approximately 6-8 weeks.

Walter E. Washington Scholarships

In honor of the first mayor of Washington, DC, President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg established the Walter E. Washington Scholarships for Police Professionals. Students enrolled in the courses offered through the Police Science program will receive the scholarship, which offers a substantial award towards GW's current undergraduate tuition rate.

Employer-Provided Assistance

Tuition benefits paid by employers are often overlooked. Many organizations will pay for all or part of your education if the classes you take will enhance your job performance or prepare you for a promotion.

The eligibility requirements vary depending on your employer. You should speak with your employer early to determine if your organization provides these benefits and how much of your tuition it will cover. Tuition benefits will reduce the amount of other aid you need, and make other financial aid easier to obtain.

Employment Opportunities

The Career Services Office provides comprehensive career planning support to students and alumni of all CPS programs*. To learn more about our services please contact Melissa Feuer at 202-994-8310 or

*Students in the Graduate School of Political Management (GSPM) are served by Mag Gottlieb; please call 202-994-8782 or visit GSPM Career Services.